Thursday, October 10, 2013

Open Sky Pt. II

          Part II of Paul Virilio's Open Sky was not much easier to read than the first part. That is my disclaimer in case anything I say here is completely wrong.
          Virilio starts off mentioning that "the human body will become the training ground for micromachines that will travel through it in all directions" (49). This specifically reminded me of two things: I, Robot, and Robo Bees. I, Robot is a movie about everyone owning and being helped by robots. One man, played by Will Smith, believes that the robots are going to turn agains the humans, but no one else does. So, naturally, they do and Will Smith saves the day. Virilio reminded me of this because the dependance of humans on technology is unbelievable today. For example, I de-activated my Facebook profile over the weekend. As a result of this, I lost many of my contacts on my phone, my Spotify account wouldn't work, my twitter was a mess, and so much more. We are so connected to the internet and mass media, that our generation has been the "training ground" for social media to work with.
          In my sustainability class, we watched a video on robotic bees. These were a result of the actual bee population declining due to a variety of factors. These robo-bees would produce honey like normal bees. This would be an example of how we truly would depend on robots for our products and lives. They would produce something that would no longer be available to us through natural means. These literally are "micromachines". Are there any other things that you know of that would fit this "micromachine" criteria?

          Later on, Virilio claims that "the world has shrunk, shrunk unbelievably; we no longer travel, we get around" (62). This also heavily relates to social media in my opinion as well as Skype, Facetime, and so many other devices and programs. To see a certain place or monument, all we have to do is Google it and BAM, there it is. Why would we spend all that extra money to go somewhere when we can just look at it on the internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment